mx5 mk1 electrical starting problem

Are you having problems with you car? Post here and someone may be able to help!

mx5 mk1 electrical starting problem

Postby sallywithangels » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:24 am

hello all please help!back in september my car suddenly died on the m1 and when i turn ther key it immeidatly dies staright away.cut a long story short,its not the fuel or fuel pump or the imboliser,couple of people ahve mentioned its the crank angle sensor but best to get a diagnostic done 1st ive got one slight problem that i cant find anyone in northampton that has the right adaptor to run a diagnostic and know one knows how to change a crank angle sensor/where to buy one!
im so stuck and now its march 09 if theres anyone out there that can offer any advice or knows someone who can help me get back on the road i would be so gratful!!
all the best,lee
sallywithangels

Re: mx5 mk1 electrical starting problem

Postby Craikeybaby » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 am

Welcome to the forum. The diagnostic test is fairly easy on the mk1, all you need is an LED and a bent paper clip. Then you have to count the flashes, there is a good guide on the mx5.co.nz site.

The CAS is a bitch to change, about as inacessible as you can get.
Lewis Craik
Joint Area Co-ordinator
The Beast - Mk 3.5 1.8SE in Aluminium Silver
Former Beast - Mk 1 1.8S in Silverstone

My blog! | Follow me: @LewisCraik
I've spotted Ken in Kingsthorpe, have YOU?
Craikeybaby
Site Admin

Postby NickD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:15 am

Hi Sally,

As Lewis said, this really should not be a problem as the OBD port on the car is an industry standard device common to all cars of this age and newer.

Also the crank angle sensor or CAS as it is called is a pretty common part and Mazda, MX5Parts and a host of other places like Auto Link will supply them, the later two are mail order to your door. (or the garage)

My feeling is that I would try a different garage as any garage that has any knowledge of Mazda's should have no problem in this.

It is actually just fiddly to replace as well, not the devils own job, ever our own Mr Stanbury has done it.

I am sure there will be people who can tell you garages to go to, as Corby is not that close, but Corby Car Care and SR motors would all do this for you no problem and do a good job too.
MOT Motorsport.co.uk Saving you time and money on tyres.
NickD

Postby sallywithangels » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:29 pm

hi many thanx for the replies,because work is mega busy[i guess id rather be busy then unemployed!]i have not had 5 mins to even reply.
my main problem is listening to 2 many people who have no idea on mx5's!if i remember i did do an led light test and if i remember id came up with code one,beacuse someone told me this form of testing is inacurate i wasnt sure if i could go by what it was telling me,code one i do think means the CAS?
i would have a go at changing myself but i really aint got a clue lol i was told to change the ignition amp as well,but i wouldnt have the 1st idea where to locate it let alone replace!
so if anybody can recomend a mechanic i would be very gratful,the car currently in standens barn but im working in oxford during the week i can get a mate to tow me as its been on his drive now approx 6 months and hes getting a bit fed up of seeing it lol.
can anyone help? many thanx.
sallywithangels

Postby hotspa » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Hi Sally
Paragon garage in Rothersthorpe Avenue far cotton could run the diagnostics and quote you for any repair. Tel number 01604 874752.
Ian
Black MK3.5
1992 25th Anv Camaro
hotspa

Postby sallywithangels » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:58 pm

thanx hotspa i did contact paragon few months back they put me in contact with there mobile mechanic who deals with elctrical problems,he disconnected the immboliser to see if that was the cause(it wasnt) but unfortunalty he didnt have the diagnostic plug adapator to plug the laptop into my car,kinda left me at square one really,except £50 lighter in the wallet!
im just wondering should i just get a new cas and find a mechanic to change it?secondly if i was to do this and it was the cause would i need to reset the ecu in anyway?ie disconnect the battery anf hold brake down for 20 seconds?)
many thanx for the replies!
sallywithangels

Postby hotspa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:12 pm

Hi
I am down at Paragon tomorrow if you give them a ring and can get the car there I know they can sort it out for u . They have all the test kit there. Will pass on what happened and I am sure they will be accomodating as they r a great bunch of guys. ( Was lucky e nough to get a go in a Zonda....yes a Zonda that was in there last week for an mot!)
Black MK3.5
1992 25th Anv Camaro
hotspa

Postby hotspa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Sally, I was at Paragon today and they were horrified that you had been lefft like this. They dont use that auto electrician now!
If you can get you car there they have promised me you will be looked after and the car will be sorted, after all they have built a reputation as one of the leading performance garages for japanese and american cars in the midlands and dont want anything spoiling their reputation.
Dont ring on wednesday as they are down in London doing some publicity filming for the latest fast and furious film.
Ian
Black MK3.5
1992 25th Anv Camaro
hotspa

Postby sallywithangels » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:30 pm

thanx hotspa i so need to get online more!
a zonda eh,wow!
il give them another call hopfully they can sort me out this time
many thanx for the replies.
sallywithangels

Postby sallywithangels » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:57 pm

hello again!
quick update i found a guy who took it away n done a diagnostic,turns out the imboliser was still interferring with the ignition and its defo the crank shaft sensor thats gone.
in case i havent mentioned the car is a jap import,the guy has looked all over the net and cant find an import crankshaft sensor for under £280,i really cannot afford this combined with the labour charge,but he would be willing to fit a second hand one if i can find one,if anyone would have any info on where i could pick up one for less then £280 then as always i would be very gratful!
sallywithangels

Postby sallywithangels » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:05 pm

sorry forgot to say!
apprently the uk mx5 version wont fit a jap import,or it will but will burn the ecu out
what is the official name for the part i need?is it Camshaft Angle Position Sensor?
mx5 parts have them for £226.16 in vat
sallywithangels

Postby sallywithangels » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:08 pm

oooo read my previous posts,i checked auto link and second hand 85 quid,i feel better!
i just need to find out if that will fit mine and not burn out my ecu,il ring them 2mrw!
sallywithangels

Postby NickD » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 am

Hi Sally,
From what you are saying you have a 1.6 and you need a new Cam Angle Sensor?

I have never heard that a Eunos will burn out a UK part and in fact I can not see firstly any reason why this sensor would be any different at all across the worl as it is just sending a position signal and secondly any electrac reason why it would cause anything to burn out.

If you want a new Mazda one I can supply a new genuine Mazda one for £200 including vat.

In fact I can supply most parts at a lower price and if people can pick them up it saves the delivery charge as well. :mrgreen:
MOT Motorsport.co.uk Saving you time and money on tyres.
NickD

Postby sallywithangels » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:08 pm

thanx for that reply il give the guy a ring and let him know
yes its a 1.6 needing a new cam sensor
many thanx for the kind offer,il probs go with the second hand option money is so tight atm,lol
sallywithangels

Postby Geoff T » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi, i have a 1.6 Eunos in bits. You are welcome to try the camshaft sensor first and if it works you can have it for £35.Geoff T
Geoff T

Next

Return to Help me!